Baltimore Jewish Times Mid-Atlantic Media, a fast-growing publisher of niche community and ethnic titles, is recruiting for an editor to lead a stable of award-winning journalists at Baltimore Jewish Times (JT).
The JT is celebrating its 100th year of publishing and serving the greater Baltimore Jewish community with high quality, compelling content. We’re looking for a multi-tasking leader who can work through copious amounts of copy and serve as a mentor to develop up-and-coming talent. The ability to juggle multiple projects is a must. Familiarity with the Jewish community is a plus.
This is a high-energy position in a fast-paced media environment where a digital-first approach is married with the traditional weekly print publication.
- Minimum 5 years of community news experience
- An ability to edit quickly and accurately in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Strong people skills and an ability to manage and motivate a team
- Technical aptitude, including comfort with WordPress, Photoshop, and digital photography
- Ability and willingness to wear many hats, from high-level editorial strategy down to shoe-leather journalism and in-person community engagement
- Assignment editor – Help our writers uncover local scoops, select stories for coverage, create a rundown and communicate with officials, sources and readers. Monitor email and social media for story ideas and trends.
- Copy editor – Fact checking and regularly proof and correct our reporters’ copy for errors, awkward phrasing, verbosity and un-engaging wording. Uphold AP Style and our house style.
- Team leader – Set high editorial standards and motivate the teams to produce compelling, accurate community and national journalism that grows audience, wins followers and makes a difference. When needed, the editor will lead by example, reporting stories themselves and assisting with breaking news coverage.
- Set high expectations for strong, consistent digital/social media participation with compelling content.
- Editorial strategist – Engage with the community and help spread the word about publication and our journalism. Work closely with the publisher to plan and execute further growth. Also, assist other management with company-wide editorial initiatives.