Our client, The Met Council is America’s largest Jewish charity dedicated to serving the needy.
Met Council is America’s largest Jewish charity dedicated to serving the needy. We fight poverty through comprehensive social services and by treating each client with compassion, integrity and respect. Our ten different departments are staffed by experts who help over 225,000 clients each year and advocate on behalf of all needy New Yorkers. Our programs range from 100% affordable housing at 21 locations to our family violence program to Holocaust survivor assistance to senior programming to crisis intervention to the largest free kosher food distribution program in the world. Our network of 75 food pantries, affordable housing sites and JCCs provide services directly in neighborhoods across New York.
Met Council is at the forefront of addressing food insecurity by providing free emergency kosher food throughout New York City. As we scale our operation to respond to the increased need created by COVID-19, we have opened up a pop-up warehouse in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. We are seeking a hands-on, program coordinator to assist in the day to day operations of this space, including the welcoming of volunteer groups, packaging of food packages, receiving of deliveries, and so on. This person will need to be comfortable doing what it takes to keep the operation moving, which may include lifting, walking long distances, motivating groups, all while staying focused on the big picture of getting more food out to more people.
Please note that, at this time, this position may be a temporary one. The exact end date has not yet been established. However, it will last at least until the end of the current fiscal year (June 30, 2020). Details will follow.
- Provide on-site, day to day support to the activities taking place at 21 India Street;
- Work with various staff and volunteer groups to advance the operations;
- Trouble shoot and problem solve issues as they arise related to volunteer groups, food packaging, and deliveries and shipments.
- Can-do, hands on approach to getting the work done
- Superior customer service skills
- Solid problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong knowledge of Windows 10 and all Microsoft Office programs
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple complex tasks simultaneously
- Significant organization skills, with an ability to stay focused on assigned tasks
Skills and Education:
- Associates degree (required); Bachelor’s degree (preferred)
- Fluent in English (required); additional languages helpful
- Knowledge of Kashrut laws (preferred)
- Travel around Brooklyn
- Required Constantly: Walking, sitting, grasping, bending, stooping, squatting, computer input, finger dexterity and coordination of hand, eye and foot
- Required Frequently: Standing and climbing stairs; carrying laptop & files (approx.10-25 lbs)
- Required Occasionally: Reaching above the shoulder, and lifting 5-25 pounds, pushing and pulling