Our client is Jewish Agency for Israel – North American Council’s (JAFINA) www.jafina.org
They seek a National Director, Endowment Development and Legacy Giving who will lead efforts to secure planned gifts of all types. The Director will take the lead in implementing the Harold Grinspoon Foundations LIFE & LEGACY® program, create strategies to identify and track target prospects and markets across the entire FRD team, collaborate with Marketing to implement outreach strategies, educate staff and lay volunteers about cultivation techniques and planned giving vehicles, and actively engage a personal portfolio of prospects and donors.
- Strategy Development
- Analyze JAFINA’s donor pool, target markets, professional and volunteer resources, and other factors to develop a coherent strategy that can be successfully implemented to secure planned gift commitments in support of JAFINA’s charitable purposes.
- Explore and develop beneficial relationships or partnerships to expand the reach of JAFINA’s legacy and endowment building efforts including private sector advisors (financial, legal, estate planning, etc.), Jewish community institutions or congregations, etc.
- Moves Management
- Review records of past planned gift commitments and implement stewardship plans (personally and in collaboration with Senior Development Officers) to confirm commitments remain in place, ensure commitments have been or will be legally formalized, and explore possibilities for enhanced commitments.
- Identify new prospects for planned gifts by analyzing the staff’s portfolio of major gift prospects, long-term repeat donors of all levels, volunteer leadership of JAFINA and The Jewish Agency for Israel, and other cohorts.
- Implement a system for assigning prospects to Senior Development Officers, lay volunteers, and others, and to monitor progress and results.
- Planned Giving Committee Management
- Serve as lead staff for the Planned Giving Committee, including scheduling of meetings, development of agendas and preparation of meeting materials, and supporting lay leaders in completing their solicitation assignments.
- Cultivation and Solicitation
- In addition to assigning prospects to Senior Development Officers for follow-up, pursue a personal portfolio of legacy prospects. The initial portfolio will likely include leadership of The Jewish Agency and JAFINA.
- Accompany Senior Development Officers and lay and professional leadership to meetings requiring the Director’s expertise in the planned giving arena, or otherwise follow-up with prospects at their request.
- Provide advice to prospects to the extent appropriate, always with integrity to protect the donor’s best interests, and always recommending that prospects consult with their own financial and legal advisors.
- Motivation and Training
- Provide, in collaboration with the Grinspoon LIFE & LEGACY® program, initial and ongoing training to staff members and lay volunteers on the importance of legacy giving and endowments for the financial stability of the organization, proper techniques for identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding prospects, and the variety of planned giving vehicles.
- Personally engage Senior Development Officers and key professional and lay leaders to motivate and strengthen their efforts in the planned gifts arena.
- Work with Marketing staff to design and implement an ongoing program to educate potential prospects about the advantages and opportunities of planned gifts to JAFINA, including through advertisements in print and online media, direct mail, e-mail, and social media
- Administration of LIFE & LEGACY®
- Coordinate with the Grinspoon LIFE & LEGACY® staff, participate in all calls and conferences scheduled by the Foundation, and provide all reporting needed to substantiate JAFINA’s progress and qualification for incentive funding from the Foundation.
- Organize and maintain thorough records of legacy efforts, results, correspondence, and legal documents.
- Work with Donor Services to develop appropriate data solutions for tracking progress and results in the planned gifts arena.
- Work with Finance, legal counsel, and financial institutions to ensure that all planned gifts are appropriately registered, invested, and administered, and that all planned gifts are structured in accordance with JAFINA policies and legal requirements.
- And such other responsibilities as may be required in support of the LIFE & LEGACY® program, endowment building efforts or the general activities of JAFINA.
Skills and Qualifications:
- 5+ years of experience as a senior planned giving officer with a track record of successfully securing planned gifts and commitments at the $10,000-and-over level.
- Strong knowledge of Israel and the American Jewish community.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Outlook, with intermediate skills in Excel, as well as experience with fundraising software solutions (e.g., Salesforce, Raisers Edge, or other).
- Strong relationship-building skills.
- Ability to think strategically.
- Coaching and mentoring skills.
- Team player.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Prepared to travel nationally with frequency.