Our client is New York Medical College, a division of Touro College and University System.
The Senior Associate Dean will report to the Chancellor/CEO of the College and the Dean of the School of Medicine and will provide leadership and management of the functions, programs and projects of the Office of Student Affairs and its related personnel. The Senior Associate Dean works hand in hand with the Senior Associate Dean for Medical Education ensuring that educational programming is consonant with overall student success in completion of the MD program. As well, The Senior Associate Dean is a liaison with the student support offices of the Bursar, Office for Student Financial Planning, Student Mental Health and Wellness Services, Student Health Services, Student Housing, Students with Disabilities, Academic Support and International Student Advisor and Scholar.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Counsel and assist medical students with academic problems, problems related to basic science and clinical studies, career decisions, and residency applications.
- Work with medical students to avoid academic problems and assist those who do have them in their resolution
- Work collaboratively with other associate and assistant deans in the medical school to foster a positive learning environment for students
- Provide support for the medical student government and for student extra-curricular activities
- Coordinate the orientation programs for the First and Second Years transition programs. Collaborate on Third and Fourth Years programs
- Coordinate and track all aspects of medical Student’ progress (academic and non-academic) and career planning throughout all four years at NYMC
- Certify students for the ERAS, NRMP and commencement
- Serve as the primary student advocate in the promotion and disciplinary process for students
- Attend meetings of each Advancement Committees (Promotions Committees), serve as liaison between these and concerned medical students, carry out each committee’s recommendations and decisions and keep accurate records of the above, including written communications with concern students about all decisions and recommendations.
- Attend meetings of the Student-Faculty Relations, Student Financial Aid, third-year student liaison committees
- Attend meetings of the education and curriculum committees.
- Provide guidance for the advisory dean program
- Serve as ombudsman between students and administration
- Advise students on research opportunities and coordinate the Student Affairs Summer Research Program and related activities.
- Coordinate the third and fourth year clinical assignment lotteries.
- Participate in the production of and provide leadership and ultimate sign off for the annual Medical Student Performance Evaluations (Dean’s Letters) and other materials related to residency applications.
- Supervision of the visiting student application process (VSAS)and the electronic residency application process (ERAS).
- Collaborate on fourth year planning activities and implement the intramural and extramural elective approval processes.
- Provide leadership in the development and upkeep of the student affairs website, student handbook, and M.D. bulletin.
- Share responsibilities for writing letters of recommendation for, but not limited to:
- residency applications
- transfer applications
- summer fellowships
- scholarship applications
- visiting student electives
- Work with the Associate Dean for Student Affairs for incorporating mentoring and career planning activities throughout the four years of a medical student’s educational experience at the New York Medical College.
- Attend appropriate regional and national meetings.
Education requirement: Terminal Degree MD, JD, Phd
Technical/computer skills: Proficient with computers including: Information systems / databases, MS Office programs, web-based systems, website management. PeopleSoft, Banner, ERAS, VSLO, a plus.
- He/she must have at least 10 years’ relevant experience.
- Working in a Medical or Graduate school environment and implementing and designing programs, a plus.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Excellent Communication Skills (oral and written);
- Ability to supervise others; Team player;
- Strong work ethic;
- Ability to work in a demanding and hectic environment