Head of School. Collaborates with the Educational Administrative Team.
The Principal of Middle School General Studies operationalizes the mission of the school. His or her work encourages faculty, students and staff to bring the mission into the day-to-day life of the Middle School. The Principal of Middle School General Studies models distributive leadership so that all members of the community are claimed by the mission and work to advance it.
The Principal of Middle School General Studies:
- Leads as a master educator for all parts of the Middle School community.
- Leads and manages the day-to-day operations of the division with empathy, skill, compassion and humor
- Inspires and stimulates a learning environment with vision that allows the school community, students and faculty to actualize the potential of the Middle School.
- Leads the school community in terms of the Educational Technology program as an Apple Distinguished School.
- Prioritizes instructional leadership, supervision, and professional development of teachers.
- Creates a learning environment in line with the lead and best practices of middle level education.
- Maintains top-tier faculty through the selection, support and development of individual teachers and the nurturing of a positive professional culture that strives for excellence
- Promotes, articulates and values the richness of Jewish life throughout the school.
- Initiates and promotes connections between and within constituencies so that collaboration is at the heart of the campus culture.
- Collaborates with rabbinic leadership to support and further Jewish programming and integrate Jewish values into the school.
- Understands the essential role of Israel in fulﬁlling the mission of the school.
- Trains middle school faculty to understand and respond to the unique developmental stage of young adolescents
- Takes an active role in conjunction with the School Psychologist to educate parents for the Middle School years
- Creates structures and opportunities that help students learn to create a healthy, caring community.
- Collaborates with educational administration team to nurture and support the Hillel mission
- Collaborates with educational administration to foster and engender an environment that supports positive learning, student engagement while running a well organized school
- Oversees the implementation of an educational program that is coherent, well-articulated, and aligned to the school’s mission
- Oversees student placement to High School in conjunction with the Judaic Studies Middle School Director
PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS OF THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
- Has demonstrated leadership in a middle school setting, preferably in a variety of contexts
- Has built communities of learning on campus
- Has effectively executed successful campus projects and programming
- Is visible and accessible to the community
- Is articulate, inspiring and reassuring
- Is innovative and creative
- Is diplomatic when necessary; candid when appropriate
- Is a self-assured and conﬁdent public speaker
- Understands the importance of appropriate and timely communication
- Can distinguish between what is urgent, what is timely and what is routine
- Is patient, kind, good-humored and able to celebrate
- Manages the daily schedule and the master calendar in conjunction with the larger administrative team.
- Leads and executes the Educational Technology vision for the school.
- Manages middle school budget and spending
- Manages the middle school office staff
- In concert with the head of school and the human resources department, demonstrates sound employment policies reflecting the school’s responsibility to provide a safe and secure work environment
- In concert with the facilities manager, is attentive to the physical environment of the middle school
- Exhibits a natural inclination to work collaboratively
- Ability to grasp the complexities of a school’s total operation and constituent relationships
- Holds a Master’s degree or beyond
- Has extensive background with educational technology and its successful integration
- Has prior experience as an educational administrator in Middle School