The Associate Dean acts in a senior administrative role for a division of Touro College and University System.
This position involves significant leadership responsibilities for strategic management of college activities, decision-making, and policy-setting. The Associate Dean, in conjunction with the current Deans, is responsible for creating and sustaining an environment of academic and professional excellence for students and faculty in a collaborative working environment.
Reporting to the Dean, the primary role of the Associate Dean is to ensure that students at the school have a superior academic experience. To meet that role, the Associate Dean will work closely with the Assistant Dean to address conflicts and problems that may arise for students, liaises with faculty and communicates with Student Services personnel. The Associate Dean will also be expected to foster professional development of faculty and contribute to the improvement of teaching and learning on campus.
Job responsibilities include the following but not limited to:
- Manages curriculum-related issues with faculty, including preparation of the course schedule
- Works with faculty to plan academic schedule each semester
- Interfaces with the Assistant Dean on a day-to-day basis to troubleshoot and resolve issues that arise during the course of the semester
- Primary faculty interface on a day-to-day basis to troubleshoot and resolve issues that arise during the course of the semester
- Advises faculty on issues related to academic concerns
- Works closely with the Assistant Dean to coordinate new student orientation
- Works with the Dean and Assistant to monitor admission criteria including admissions requirements and transfer policies
- Works closely with the Assistant Dean to support implementation of online registration for returning students and registration for new students
- Sits on the admissions committee and participates in all admission committee meetings
- Organizes and participates in Open House and other activities related to student recruitment
- Assures that all full time and adjunct faculty are appropriately supervised, developed and evaluated
- Executes and reviews undergraduate student evaluations of faculty for the undergraduate studies
- Participates in the on-boarding (recruitment and orientation) of full-time and adjunct faculty
- Interfaces with Registrar’s office to enable implementation of college policies Provides ad hoc reports to campus administration and senior leadership of college
- Serves on various committees, including Curriculum Committee, and Outcomes Assessment Committee
- Coordinates with pre-med advisor and health science advisors to review course requirements
Education, Preparation, and Training
- Earned Doctorate
- Peer-reviewed publications
- Significant college teaching and administrative experience (10-15 years preferred)
- Strong commitment to fostering student learning and academic excellence
- Demonstrated experience in people management
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to the particular constituencies served by the campus
- Strong background in the liberal arts
- Demonstrated research and analytic skills preferred
- Creativity; high levels of energy and initiative
- Ability to communicate, collaborate with, and direct Department Chairs, faculty members and students
- Ability to handle multiple high priority activities simultaneously
- Sophisticated degree of interpersonal competency; ability to work closely with diverse groups, faculty and students
- Understanding of the application of technology to the educational process.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Internet, Blackboard
- Familiarity with Distance Learning
- Principled leadership and attention to details of finance, participation and planning
- Ability to implement accreditation criteria and state agency regulations
- Ability to develop and deliver presentations to Senior Management and the entire organization.
- Organizational skills with the ability to multi-task and effectively manage time
- Familiarity with online learning and new media is a plus