We are conducting a search on behalf of a large New York City social service agency.
Responsible for building a culture of philanthropy at Volunteers of America-Greater New York. (VOA-GNY). Creates, implements and monitors an annual fund-raising plan that involves corporate, foundation, staff and individual/major donors. The position leads a team that works with program staff, National fundraising staff, AVPs, VPs, the CEO and Board members to increase fundraising results, through board training, campaign consulting, the development of joint solicitation strategies and the development of philanthropic materials that represent the scope of the work and philanthropic needs of VOA-GNY. The position works closely with VP of Communication and External Relations to ensure consistent branding, develop strategies, problem solve and lead efforts to build a fundraising culture and infrastructure throughout the entire organization. The position reports to the President & CEO.
- Master’s Degree required;
- CFRE or CFM Certification, required.
- Fifteen years of experience in the development field required, with at least 5 years in a senior leadership role, possessing a documented record of success in strategic initiatives and fundraising outcomes.
- Degree required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to foster collaborations within VOA-GNY, the field and market are needed.
- Entrepreneurial foresight and innovative spirit to recognize future trends and new opportunities.
- Ability to listen and communicate clearly, effectively and persuasively at all levels of the organization, both orally and in writing.
- Ability and political savvy to build and sustain relationships with many constituencies, both internal and external, including colleagues, corporations, major donors and funding sources are important.
- Proven ability to lead, direct and support senior level professionals.
- Develop and implement a quantifiable and measurable fundraising strategy and support systems to increase annual giving in order to achieve financial goals.
- Hire, train and lead the fundraising staff whose mission is to connect, engage and inspire our community in working to fulfill our mission.
- Forge strong relationships with our Board of Directors and leverage their ability to help VOA-GNY achieve our vision.
- Provide staff support for the Board of Directors Development and Communications Committee collaboratively with the VP of Communication and External Affairs.
- Solicit and secure major gifts from individual, corporate and foundation donors.
- Increase online giving and the use of social media and technology in fundraising.
- Work closely with the VOA National Office to identify and secure national grants and support.
- Oversee the management of the donor database.
- Prepare and update policies and procedures and complete other assigned administrative duties as assigned.
Effect on End Results:
- Increased public and private support is generated.
- Fund raising staff has a clear understanding of their role and are motivated to achieve the department’s goals.
- These relationships will broaden our fundraising and marketing reach.
- Board engagement and efforts will be well structured and we will utilize their time appropriately.
- The number of major gifts or total amount received will increase over time.
- Expand our on-line branding in collaboration with the VP of Communications and External Affairs resulting in increased on-line giving.
- A collaborative effort to identify national funds that can be allocated to VOA-GNY to support the affiliate’s goal.
- VOA-GNY’s donor base will be up to date, accurate and logically formatted.
- VOA-GNY’s policies and procedures related to development will be accurate and timely and all administrative duties will be completed according to agency standards.