Our client is a Jewish Community Center in Manhattan. They seek an energetic and experienced Director of Programming, who will be responsible for creating and executing all elements of the programs and classes offered at the Center and will also be an integral part of the senior management team.
This is a unique opportunity for a talented executive to help develop and manage a signature Jewish center combining tradition, education, and innovation to nurture the mind, body and soul in a sophisticated urban setting.
The Director of Programming oversees the coordination and administration of all aspects of the Center’s program department including planning, organizing, staffing, leading, and identifying an array of dynamic programs and classes. The Program Director acts as part of the senior management team reporting directly to the Executive Director. They will lead a department of specialty programmers (ex: teens, sports, arts, etc.) and manage several partnerships relating to wellness, Jewish, educational, and city-wide programming. They will serve the Center’s membership by providing creative, stimulating, innovative and inspiring programming.
The Director of Programming performs a wide range of duties including the following:
Develop the Programming Department
- Create and develop new and unique programming for the Center, appropriate for all ages
- Plan the staffing and delivery of the overall program and its activities to support and enliven the mission and vision of the Center
- Develop and implement long-term goals and objectives to achieve the successful outcome of the program and to support the strategic direction of the organization
- Develop an annual budget and operating plan to support the department
- Develop a program evaluation framework to assess the strengths of the programs and to identify areas for improvement along with forms and records to document program activities
- Communicate with members and other stakeholders to gain community support for the program and to solicit input to improve the program
- Monitor the program activities on a regular basis and conduct regular evaluations.
Staff the Department and Develop Departmental Policy
- Recruit, interview and select well-qualified program staff with expertise in specific areas
- Implement the human resources policies, procedures and practices for the instructors/ teachers/professional hired to work directly with our members – in conjunction with the HR department
- Supervise program staff by providing direction, input and feedback
- Establish and implement a performance management process for all program staff
- Ensure that all program staff receive an appropriate orientation to the organization and appropriate training in accordance with the Center’s mission
- A passion for developing new programs, building boldly from the bottom up
- Focus on client needs: the ability to anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of the internal and external clients
- 5-7 years’ experience in programming and management
- Proven successful program planning and implementation, relationship building, and management experience
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and an ability to partner with a dynamic leadership team and interface with the public
- Minimum of a BA/BS required