The Conference on Jewish Material Claims Against Germany, Inc. (Claims Conference), an international non-profit organization headquartered in New York, was established in 1951 to negotiate a program of indemnification for material damages to Jewish individuals and to the Jewish people caused by Germany through the Holocaust. This respected organization administers several major programs for the benefit of Holocaust survivors worldwide and actively negotiates with the German government.
We are currently recruiting for the position of Director of Finance in our New York HQ. This position reports to the Chief Financial and Investment Officer. Significant domestic and international travel is required. Candidates will be expected to display the initiative, skill set, and intangibles to assume the Chief Financial Officer position and responsibilities approximately one year after hire.
As Director of Finance
- Direct and oversee all aspects of the Accounting functions of the organization;
- Ensure that effective internal controls are in place to certify compliance with GAAP as well as applicable federal and state regulatory laws for financial and tax reporting;
- Evaluate the need for new technology to meet the organization’s financial data processing, control, and reporting requirements;
- Assist the CFIO and the Controller with financial reporting as required, including audit and tax filings;
- Establish guidelines for budget and forecast preparation, and prepare the annual budget in consultation with the CFIO and Controller;
- Work with the CFIO and Controller regarding the vendor payment process for various organizational expenses;
- Supervise human resource activities relating to employee benefits, retirement plans and related matters;
As Chief Financial Officer
With the eventual growth into the CFO position, tasks will expand to include:
- Act as key advisor to the EVP on all Claims Conference financial and business related matters;
- Work with the EVP on the strategic vision of the Organization and operate as the Chief Financial spokesperson for the Claims Conference;
- Exhibit competency to interpret complex financial data concisely to a range of different audiences;
- Demonstrate judgment and ability to provide strategic and financial leadership across a broad spectrum of Claims Conference business related activities, including:
- Investment and commercial banking relationships by serving as the primary liaison with financial institutions;
- Necessary organizational insurance coverage by evaluating and administering risk management and insurance policies;
- Various real estate activities including lease agreements, contractual policies, and procedures as needed;
- Maintain relations with external auditors and investigate their findings and recommendations;
- Managerial oversight of Director of Global Grant Audit and Compliance.
As Chief Investment Officer
Should the applicant develop the skill set to assume investment responsibilities, additional tasks will include:
- Responsible for development, maintenance, and oversight of the organization’s strategic fixed income investment portfolio, including quality control, policies, procedures, and reporting;
- Ability to initiate and execute multiple bond trades as well as various foreign exchange conversion and hedging techniques;
- Day to day oversight of the Claims Conference investment portfolio in different currencies.
- Overseeing organizational business relationships;
- Overseeing investments;
- Monitoring the cash flow process;
- Overseeing the financial statement and budget process;
- Overseeing competitive bidding process.
- Deeply sensitive and committed to the mission of the Claims Conference;
- Master’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, or Economics;
- CPA certification required;
- 10+ years of progressively responsible financial and managerial experience;
- Minimum 5 years experience with nonprofit management;
- Proficiency in all aspects of non-profit accounting and all pertinent GAAP, SEC and IFRS rules and regulations;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Previous experience in developing and making management presentations, and maintaining strong relationships with staff and management;
- Proven ability to influence change and effectively lead projects;
- Able to work effectively under pressure, either independently or as a member of a team.